Odessa Opera House
Every town has its own symbol. The symbol - a place where tourists are the first thing, a symbol - an object that is depicted on postcards and magnets, a symbol - a place where people come to be photographed couple. In Odessa, founded and built by Europeans, and suddenly grown rich in the early nineteenth century, it became the symbol of the theater.
The first Odessa theater was opened in 1810, but already in 1873, unfortunately, burned down. But rich and full nobles Odessa was not going to tolerate this state of affairs - is a new theater has been preserved to our days was built in 1887.
The new building was designed by the famous Viennese architects Ferdinand Fellner and Herman Helmer, built in Europe around fifty theaters.
The prototype of the Odessa theater, which was built in the Viennese Baroque style, served as the Dresden Opera.
The project Fellner and Helmer was not finalized in detail, in addition, the architects did not come to Odessa during construction, so much redefined and complemented the Odessa architect Alexander Bernardazzi Felix Gonsirovsky Yuri Dimitrenko.
Implementation of the project has cost a whopping half a million rubles, but the theater building is equipped with the latest technology: the first electric lighting and central heating have been applied in the Novorossiysk Territory.
side of the theater, looking at the English club, called English.
And the side that faces onto the Palais Royal, called the French.
The first two floors, decorated only the columns of the Tuscan order, create a sense of fundamental and stability, and the third, delicate and refined floor, it creates an overall impression of lightness, harmony and elegance of the building.
"Odessa Theater - the best in the world!" - so reacted to the project co-author, Ferdinand Fellner, seeing firsthand the building on arrival in Odessa after construction. I absolutely agree with him.
The new theater immediately became the cultural center of the city, a favorite destination of the rich classes of Odessa, and, moreover, enjoyed enormous popularity among artists from around the world. On the stage singing Fyodor Chaliapin, Enrico Caruso, Titta Ruffo, Louise Tetratsini, Anna Pavlova danced, Catherine Geltser and Isadora Duncan, conducted Tchaikovsky, Rimsky-Korsakov and Rachmaninov.
But, for the love of the world-famous artists and citizens, the fate of the theater was not easy.
In 1925, a fire broke out in the building, which destroyed the stage and damaged the auditorium. A year later, the theater has been restored, but after 40 years it took him a full restoration, which was carried out on isolated from the all-Union budget of four million rubles.
But it helped for a short time - by mid-nineties of the twentieth century, the building was in a catastrophic state. The reason for these problems lies in the subsidence, podlegayuschey under the theater. The city started talking about the fact that theater is slowly but surely "slide" to the sea, and soon we will not see it. Fortunately, these rumors proved to be premature.
In 2007, it completed a long-term restoration, during which the building foundation has been strengthened by piles, made the installation of modern air conditioning systems, fire alarm systems, electrical supply, and the full restoration of the facade and the interior.
air conditioning system.
The red-green devices - is plungers, allow to raise and lower the stage.
Backstage. Right - white concrete screen, clipping the auditorium of the interior. Such a screen is installed in the theater after a fire in 1925.
The scenery of one of the performances.
One of the highest points of the theater - a place above the stage.
Of course, the technical details and hidden behind the scenes of the theater the viewer's eye. Going to the theater, he sees something quite different.
The lobby is on the English side of the theater.
The staircase leading to the mezzanine lodges.
Lobby lodges with passages to the first tier, and stairs leading to the second tier lodges. It is here to film scenes from the movie Marlezonskogo ballet "D'Artagnan and Three Musketeers."
Lobby, follows the curve of the auditorium.
Dressing room in the lobby of one of the layers.
Of course, special attention deserves the luxuriously decorated auditorium.
In Odessa Opera for viewers provides space on the ground, stalls of beds, mezzanine first and second tiers, the amphitheater, and the gallery.
The architecture of the hall in the style of the French Rococo.
The ceiling of the hall is decorated with four medallions with pictures of Francois Leffler, depicting scenes from Shakespeare's "Hamlet", "Midsummer Night's Dream," "The Winter's Tale" and "As You Like It."
And it occupies a central place a huge crystal chandelier.
The auditorium, as well as the lobby, stairs and hallways, decorated with stucco ornaments with gold, red velvet and wood.
In addition, the hall has unique acoustics - whisper uttered on the stage can be heard in all its corners.
After the first visit to the Odessa Opera House, the great Fyodor Chaliapin wrote to his wife: "... I was in the theater and came to the wild delight of the beauty of the theater. I've never seen anything more beautiful. "
But like any other theater, the Odessa Opera really comes to life only during the performances, when the room is filled with spectators.
But on stage the best artists.
And every viewer gets a chance to touch the art.
Is not it wonderful?
As a small bonus, we will climb to the roof of the theater.
The sculpture above the main entrance, the patron of art Melpomene in a chariot drawn by four panthers, is a clear image of allegory "only the power of art is able to conquer the bestial savagery"
On the balustrade around the perimeter of the theater located sixteen non-recurring babies, cupids sculptures.
From left to right: street Lanzheronovskaya house Vasily Navrotskiy, statues on the balustrade of the theater.
Home Vasily Navrotskiy, owner, editor and publisher of the once popular newspaper "Odessa leaf".
In the foreground - the building in a lane Tchaikovsky, in the background - Odessa Bay.
Lanzheronovskaya Street, turning into self-titled Descent, Odessa port.
The fountain in front of the theater, once the English Club, now restored Navy Museum.
The theater is a good example of how to look well-groomed and remediation of Odessa.