20 interesting facts about precious pearls
1. Pearl is the only gem that requires no processing.
2. The aesthetic excellence and practical use of steel causes extensive use of this material by our ancestors. Archaeologists have discovered numerous evidence not only of the high popularity of the material, but also its values: to get the ball, silver in the sun, it was not so easy.
3. The first people who began to actively use this gem are Chinese. They came to the wide use of material about 42 centuries ago. It is true that at first the material is not used as a decoration, and replaces the money. Preserved evidence that in 2206 BC. e. Emperor Yu imposed a tribute to the country's population pearls. Pearls for the ancient Chinese was the equivalent of major monetary units, and pointed to the social situation. For example, all major court officials of the country were in their headdresses these gems, which is a sign of high social status and position.
4. Queen Semiramis, according to legend, was very fond of pearls and on holidays please yourself and court decoration of bright pink pearl. And Cleopatra, as legend has it, was able to dissolve a pearl in a glass of wine, which is then drank directly in front of Mark Antony. All this was in dispute: she said about dinner, prepared by it will be the most expensive. And not lost, 5. Nature has created 8 pearls configurations: irregular shape, button, sphere, oval, semi-circle, and the circle of pear.
6. Alexander the Great, the famous commander, talented commander and a brave warrior before his march to India conquered the island of Socotra (he was a famous black pearls). Black pearls come from this island is so inspired by Alexander that he was combining the beauty of a pinkish-white and dazzling jewels, and sent the first and second home - in Greece. After that started the craze gem by not only the nobility, but also ordinary citizens. 7. Marie de Medici at the baptism of his son Louis 13 wore a dress embroidered with pearls, the number of which amounted to 30 thousand.
8. Margarita - known today name - translated from the Greek, means nothing more than a "pearl." The ancient Greeks believed that this precious stone can prevent disputes and contribute to family happiness.
9. Hernando Cortes, the famous conqueror of Mexico, the Spanish conquistador - the man who brought to Europe natural black pearls. Later pearls spread throughout Europe thanks to research "the color of pearls," which is located in the Gulf of California. At the present time of La Paz in Baja, which is located in California, it has become the world center of the Black Pearl.
10. Elizabeth 1 - a big fan of Chinese pearls. Necklace made of pearls adorned her neck every day.
11. Philip 2, King of Spain, at the time was the owner of an unusual pear-shaped pearls called "Peregrine." This jewel of its existence has changed several owners: it belonged to Mary Tudor, and then passed into the hands of Napoleon 3rd. Later the decoration fell into the hands of Elizabeth Taylor. "Peregrine" thanks to its latest owner to become a key jewel in the generated pearl necklace with diamonds.
12. 150 zhemchugonosnyh rivers territory Rus prichinoydovolno become widespread pearl fishing. The most popular is the fishery was in the north-western part of Russia, even though you can find mention of quarrying in Kievan Rus.
13. The Russian word "pearl" migrated from China. It was formed by the Chinese "Zhen Zhu," and then there were a few adapted to the Russian "zenchug". By the way, in Russia there was a plenty of embroidery, made in national costume pearls. In this case, it should be noted that this embroidery is found not only on women's clothes, but also in men's suits. 14. Pearls are almost never coalesce. The exception was the stone "Great Southern Cross." When the master opened the shell, they saw that inside it a large cross coalesced already 9 pearls.
15. Natural pearls are suitable for treatment by specialists, goldsmiths, today very rare. The reason was simply brutal extermination of shell: in the 19th century industrialists and dishonest businessmen for the sake of precious stones were ready to open hundreds of thousands of natural "producers". Such brutal aspirations enriched businessmen put shells, clams, producing jewelry, on the brink of destruction. Since 1952, the destruction of pearl shells, banned worldwide.
16. Technology of cultivation of pearls has its roots back in China then introduced into the shell masters lead the Buddha statues. Continuing research in the field of precious stone growing in Sweden in 1767 and in 1915 in Japan. Engaged in the development of pearl cultivation and Russian scientists.
Separately, it should be said about the research of K. Mikimoto from Japan. He proposed to enter into a sink-pearl bead, which will be wrapped in the mantle tissue donor oyster. However, only three years later in one of the four commitments for oyster pearls formed the experiment. And besides, pearl only one of the four oysters reached commercial quality having a thickness of extension of its layer in the region of 0, 4 mm.
17. "Palawan Princess" - the second in the world largest pearl. It was put up for auction December 6, 2009. Her weight was 2, 3 kg, and the diameter was 150 mm. 18. Pearl "Regent" has become the owner of the title of the most valuable. She has another, more well-known name - a pearl Bonaparte family. Great Emperor Napoleon bought this gem back in 1811 for Maria Luisa - his future wife. After that, the jewel into the hands of Fabergé. In 2005 the pearl was sold at auction for a record sum - 2, 5 million dollars.
19. Coco Chanel pearls valued and respected. It was she who said the phrase: "Pearl is always right", referring to the fact that this gem is perfect for any woman and become elegant and beautiful addition to any outfit. A classic combination of white pearls with black sweater, a little black dress and dark elegant jacket gained immense popularity.
20. The largest pearl in the world was entered in the Guinness Book of Records. Its name - "Pearl of Allah". Weight of 6, 35 kg, 238 mm diameter, and 32,000 carats