"Moskvich" is on the rise - under the hood 4.0 V6
As a boy, admiring neighbor an old "Moskvich", Alexander Kuleshov was determined that he ever will be the same too. For many children's dreams and remain dreams, but not for the hero of our article - years later he built his car from his childhood. But the question is with the engine, he decided to radically placed under the hood of an old man ... a powerful 4-liter engine of the SUV Ford Explorer!
I met his wife Victoria and Alexander Kuleshov, for which the "Moskvich-403" is not just a car, and one of their family characters: the first car leaving the city after reconstruction coincided with their wedding day.
- I do not know what other brides in your last day of bachelorhood, but my bachelor party was held in the garage, - says Alexander. - Final assembly of the car with your friends lasted until three in the morning. Not enough sleep, tired, but still went to her wedding on it. All were ecstatic!
Passion for cars MZMA was the reason for our love - I myself am the owner of the car. The passion for retro I am also very close, very clear. Before we proceed to the destruction of the car the hero of this article tire should talk a little bit about these cars.
"Muscovites" 402 th, 407 th and 403 th model was produced in 1956-1965. at the Moscow plant of small cars. Only about half a million of these machines were manufactured.
"Muscovite-402" was weak and obsolete nizhneklapannym engine 1 working volume, 22 liters and 35 liters. from. - its construction dates back to the mid-30s. "Muscovite-407" was different from its predecessor new overhead valve engine. This model went into production in May of 1958. The new engine displacement of 1358 cc. cm and a capacity of 45 liters. from. accelerates the car to 115 km / h.
403rd model "Moskvich" appeared in December 1962. The engine remains the same, the interior and exterior received minor changes, and chassis has undergone some processing. "Moskvich-403" and "Moskvich-407" in the Soviet Union were considered fairly dynamic machines in those days. They participated in the rally, ring and hippodrome races.
However, 45 l. from. for the XXI century it is very small. Therefore, Alexander decided to prove that the old and clumsy "Moskvich", too, can ride, and go very quickly. The interior and exterior have remained virtually the same, but the "stuffing" was very interesting: the suspension of the BMW E30, the powerful six-cylinder engine plus a manual gearbox from the Ford Scorpio. There are also power steering and disc brakes on all wheels. All this together makes the "Moskvich-403" in a space rocket.
- The city is constantly "cling" to the traffic lights at the youths psevdogonochnyh foreign cars - racing want. Naive, they have no chance - even the BMW X5 left behind! The reaction from the losers is different: someone smiles, someone is very upset ... At high speeds the car, by the way, is very stable. But I have been practicing this very often, I do not like this.
Under the hood of an old man hides a 160-hp engine. Given the small weight - 1100 kg - the car actually turned out very dynamic. Being aware of, to put it mildly, is not enough space in the engine compartment, it is difficult to believe that there could put a huge engine. After Ford was placed on 4.0 rather big Ford Explorer and the Ford Mustang. Alexander had to work hard to place there all the necessary aggregates - they attach millimeter per millimeter. And it was worth it: you just listen to the sound of the motor! Body motion in time with the pedal "gas" tilts to one side. Craving a hurricane, the driver and passengers is pressed into the seat backs. Still, after torque is 310 Nm! Up to 100 km / h "Moskvich" is dispersed in about 6-7 seconds. At the landfill in the Limes while drag racing a few risk compete with Alexander.
Apparently, the car of our hero - the fastest "Moskvich" on the earth at the site was able to develop a dizzying 220 km / h!
It all began in September 2008, when the body of the "Moskvich-403" was bought. Then he stood in Borisov, buried in the ground and covered with moss. A little more - and I would have ended the story of this machine in a landfill, but Alexander arrived on time.
- The body seemed at first glance not very rusty, which determined his fate, - says the owner. - I bought it without the engine compartment and heap all sorts of very necessary and rare details. All to create the machine took more than three years. Difficulties were everywhere: no detail just is not "getting" everything was altered. An electrician was a lot of fuss. Body amplified - welding were many.
Our hero had too many options engine with a displacement of 1, 6 2, 9 l. But almost three-liter engine it was not enough:
- In the end, it was purchased by the six-cylinder 4.0. Body completely "sandblasting". All add-on components of the body, except the rear fenders, new. Collecting details for all countries of the former Soviet Union. Of course, finding spare parts is very difficult today. In total, the car has invested about 13,000 dollars. The Russians offered me 20,000 me for it, but the power invested so much, do not pass. How can I sell this?
Those who never turned the nut in the garage, can not understand. After all, it happens that the original part is difficult to deliver, and then the car was built from the ground up, from parts ideologically incompatible with each other. And Alexander did it all by myself.
- I can not say that the machine is now in perfect condition, because it drives every day during those two seasons I have traveled about 60,000 kilometers, - says the owner. - In winter, of course, I put in the garage, and in the summer it enough: a lot of trips to work, often traveling with his wife. But the hood this summer I opened only for changing the oil and the engine just to show off. However, shortcomings have accumulated, today is the last exit of the machine - put in the garage for the next reconstruction.
Last year he was able to perfectly adjust the 4-liter engine: the no longer heated, fuel consumption as needed - 10 l / 100 km in the city, provided a leisurely drive. But on the horizon loomed the V-shaped ... "eight" 4.6 with automatic transmission:
- My second car - Ford Taunus. He is now under construction, just recently picked up his new motor. As a result, I found a familiar 4.6 V8. Just for fun measured the dimensions of the engine compartment "Moskvich" - the motor comes to! With a few changes, but you can set this whopper. As a result, Taunus will do in runoff, and already on the "Moskvich" will come off. And what will be: in that motor torque is 370 newton-meters, power - 220 horsepower! Also this winter 403rd plan repainted completely, to make even more approximate to the original interior and exterior. After that, as a vehicle for everyday use already will not - sorry for such a machine.
The decor of the exterior and interior, there are certain elements of the "Moskvich-407", but according to our hero, for him the main thing - to leave the charm of the 60s:
- The car is being constantly improved. Gradually make its appearance more close to the original view. For example, the alloy wheels will give way to "native" steel with full wheel covers, track will be reduced.
The most surprising, when girls run such machines. Their impressions from driving "Moskvich" shared Victoria Kuleshov:
- I drive carefully, very afraid of that car hit, scratch, knowing how much effort put into it my husband. Ride on the "Moskvich" is very easy, but at the slightest pedal "gas" the car just takes off from under you. With modern cars it is incorrect to compare: in the "Moskvich", of course, do not have that comfort. Nevertheless, the front sofa, white bone wheel, archaic, naive simplicity, and the roar of the powerful motor can not be compared with anything! Forever remembered as a husband first came to the "Moskvich" on the day of our wedding. Freshly painted, the newly built, he seemed to me to be something unreal, especially on such a day!
Behind the scenes, our meeting ended. Like it or not, there is in old cars a peculiar charm, there is a spirit of an era.