Yekaterinburg. Then and now

• Ekaterinburg. Then and Now

Almost three hundred years of its existence, Ekaterinburg changed and rebuilt several times. The county town of the Perm province survived a dozen kings, and it is here that the events of 1917 put the final point in the Russian monarchy. In Soviet times, the city was renamed to Sverdlovsk, was one of the centers of Constructivism and industrial innovations. Nowadays Yekaterinburg - one of the largest Russian cities, cultural, economic, scientific and administrative capital of the Urals Federal District.

The project "Ekaterinburg. Then and Now, "it shows how much the city has changed over the century and a half. Archival photos depicting features of life of the citizens in that era: horse-drawn carriages, cars, signs, clothing styles. The result was a story not only about architecture, but also about the life of the city in different periods.

Yekaterinburg. Then and now

Plotinka.

Unique Photo, combining avant-garde architecture of Sverdlovsk and antique shops Catherine plant, which has long been an important part of the industrial city. In 1923 the city became the center of the Ural region, it is built on a large scale, but in the center of the new capital is still in the old factory of XVIII century. Only to the 250th anniversary of the city (1973) on the site of workshops it was established museum and memorial complex - Historical Square. Most of the territory cleared, some factory shop was rebuilt in the museum.

Yekaterinburg. Then and now

City pond.

City pond - an artificial reservoir, which was created to ensure that the plant Catherine energy of falling water. This photo was taken with the gymnasium promenade that after the revolution was called the promenade of the Working Youth. This name it bears today. In the photo we see Tarasovskoye embankment (now - street Maxim Gorky), clearly visible Sevastyanovsky house behind it - St. Catherine's Cathedral and the old roofs of Yekaterinburg. In 1930, the cathedral was destroyed and in its place arose the area of ​​Labor and the building of the Regional Executive Committee.

Yekaterinburg. Then and now

Catherine plant.

Photo Main Avenue from the belfry of St. Catherine's Cathedral. The photograph clearly visible old factory halls, in the background - Cathedral (Epiphany) Cathedral and gymnasium in front of him. August 14, 1998 in honor of the 275th anniversary of Yekaterinburg in the Square of Labor was a monument to the city founders - Vasily Tatishchev and William de Gennin.

Yekaterinburg. Then and now

Area Labor.

One of the central squares of Sverdlovsk, broken on the spot Catherine's Cathedral. The area is adjacent closely to old Catherine plant, water tower which is visible on its far edge. To the right is seen Lenin Avenue, on the left - the house the Regional Executive Committee. In the foreground of historical photos are works on the improvement of the street Pushkinskaya.

Yekaterinburg. Then and now

Main Post Office.

Post House or Post Office - one of the most significant objects of Ekaterinburg, the icon of the architecture of the Soviet avant-garde. In his example, you can see one of the basic principles of the architecture of Constructivism - functionality. The building seemed collected from three different volumes: vertical staircase; horizontal ribbon windows mark the location of the halls; narrow vertical windows - manufacturing zone where the communication equipment was located in those days takes a lot of space. For the main body can be seen a block of offices with the same windows. Post House is part of the ensemble of constructivist buildings Labor Square.

Yekaterinburg. Then and now

The building of the City Council.

Today, city council - is a five-storey building topped with a clock tower and richly decorated in the spirit of the Soviet neo-classical. But looks can be deceiving. In fact, this building (then - Gostiny Dvor) was originally built in the austere forms of constructivism.

At the end of the 1930s, politics and ideology of the state began to change and the Soviet avant-garde as the direction of architecture fell out of favor. Critics say that the style is too austere, and is associated with poverty, that life is better and more fun, so you need to build richer. This and other buildings it was decided to "enrich" - give a little more austere constructivism parts of the Soviet neo-classical columns, stucco and sculptures. In 1944, was designed by the enrichment of the facades, the project was executed after the war. The clock tower designed by architects Golubev and Reischer erected only in 1954, when the City Council has acquired a modern look.

Yekaterinburg. Then and now

Hotel Atamanova.

Bed-and second guild merchant Atamanova at the former Assumption Street. In the future, we see the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral (in Novotihvinskom convent).

Yekaterinburg. Then and now

The Stone Bridge.

In the photo Pokrovsky Avenue (street Malyshev) crosses the Iset of the old stone bridge of the city, built in the middle of the XIX century. In the foreground on the right - the manor Pakleŭski-goat. Today it is the Ministry of Culture of the Sverdlovsk region. In the future, Pokrovsky Avenue visible Catholic Cathedral of St. Anne, built in 1884. After the revolution, the new government sought to undermine the authority of all religions. The church was rebuilt in part, for a long time it was located in the bus station. In the early 1960s, the building was demolished.

Yekaterinburg. Then and now

March 8 Street.

Picture taken from the bell tower of the Cathedral of Big Chrysostom toward Market Square. Rises up Uktusskaya Street (now March 8th), to the left along it are old shops Market Square (Mytnaya storey courtyard - in the foreground). Behind them - a whopper Prombank facing the street rounded corner. Behind her is visible spire of the Cathedral standing in the area of ​​the future in 1905. Extends around merchant old buildings Ekaterinburg. Only a constructivist building Prombank gives that picture was taken already in Sverdlovsk.

Yekaterinburg. Then and now

Rosa Luxemburg Street.

Street Rosa Luxemburg preserved historical buildings of pre-revolutionary Yekaterinburg: urban and country estates, benches, wooden and stone houses. Left - red brick house of a merchant of the second guild Babikova; Basil leaves on avenue residential part of Zlatoust - trading house. Right - the oldest hotel in Yekaterinburg, the so-called "American Hotel". Now the hotel building is from the Sverdlovsk Art College.

Yekaterinburg. Then and now

The first building of the drama theater.

The theater building was rebuilt in 1929, the trading house Vtorov - is this place a two-storey shop in the Art Nouveau style. In 1990, the theater moved, and this building disorderly surrender. In it there was a fire, and after a few years of neglect it was rebuilt into a shopping center. Today, the old drama theater facade can be seen built into a modern shopping center, however the lane coming from the building, still called the Theater, recalling past glories. But the pharmacy №6, which is visible in the foreground of the picture, has survived all the vicissitudes of history and located in the same place as before.

Yekaterinburg. Then and now

Photographic Museum Metenkov.

In the photo - the intersection of the former Voznesensky Prospekt (now - the street of Karl Liebknecht) and Club Street (Day). In the foreground, in front of a crossroads, seen two-storey building of the photographic store Metenkov.

Benjamin Leonidovich Metenkov - known Ekaterinburg businessman, enthusiastic photographer. He successfully managed several photographic workshops brought and popularized in Yekaterinburg novelties in the field of photography. After the revolution Metenkov enterprises were nationalized. In 1993 it was decided to create an in-house Metenkov Museum of Photography.

Yekaterinburg. Then and now

Pier Working Youth.

In the photo - quay Working Youth and Water area of ​​the city pond. To the right can be seen the building of a sports complex "Dynamo". On the left - a classic building with a portico chetyrohkolonnym. This former home of the main mining boss who wielded immense power in the city. During the Soviet era here located special hospitals Regional Committee of the RCP. Today it is a hospital №2.

Yekaterinburg. Then and now

Sports Complex "Dinamo".

Sports complex, built during the first five years for the sports club "Dynamo", also known as "house-boat." The complex of buildings made in the forms of constructivism, including a stadium with stands and Physical Culture House - one of the few constructivist buildings with accessible roof. An important area of ​​the sports complex are water sports such as water competitions in rowing, swimming, diving.

Yekaterinburg. Then and now

The hotel "Big Ural".

It designed and built in the mid-1930s. At this time, Sverdlovsk, the capital of the new young Ural region, is experiencing a construction boom. It creates an integrated development project Puutori and the surrounding area. "Big Ural" - part of the complex. In the late 1930s, the hotel building was "enriched": originally a strict constructivist volume decorated in the spirit of Soviet neoclassical sculpture on the facade appeared and moldings, railings on the balconies and capitals on the columns.

Yekaterinburg. Then and now

The area of ​​the Paris Commune.

The area of ​​the Paris Commune - a former Puutori old Ekaterinburg. Here bought and sold firewood, wood for construction. Prior to the beginning of the XX century it was actually a suburb of the city. In 1932 it was approved the first plan landscaping Sverdlovsk defeated regular squares. Perhaps this is a feature of Sverdlovsk / Ekaterinburg, but many places are now called the Square (Labor, the Paris Commune, the Communards, Kirov), in fact are squares.

Yekaterinburg. Then and now

The street of Karl Liebknecht.

Picture taken from the watchtower Fire Department №2 (today - the General Directorate of EMERCOM of Russia for the Sverdlovsk Region). At present, the original building firehouse overbuilt on three floors, no-tower.

When comparing two historical photos of the most clearly seen a huge jump, which made the city literally during the first two five-year plans. Among the merchants' red-brick mansions grow huge geometric constructivist new type of building: Palace of Communications (left) and the building of trust Uralsnabtorg.

Yekaterinburg. Then and now

Chapaeva Street.

In 1833, in Yekaterinburg county he was appointed bishop of the Diocese of Perm. The priest allowed himself to what was then the outskirts of a town house, a church, a garden, and the whole street "obeyed" him. Bishop's considered one of the best streets in the capital of the Ural Mountains. Now the street is named after Chapaev.

Yekaterinburg. Then and now

Street Weiner.

In Sverdlovsk, several residential complexes for employees of the City Council was built. City Council house №5 on Weiner Street - one of them. Today, the building is almost entirely office. Not so long ago became a pedestrian street Weiner.

Yekaterinburg. Then and now

Printing House.

printing house is part of the ensemble of buildings of the Paris Commune Square. The building was designed with a concrete frame of the columns, but in order to save in a building partially preserved walls of old mansions that stood on the site of construction. Up until the early 2000s, it housed the publishing house "Ural worker".

Yekaterinburg. Then and now

Ascension slide.

On the photo - view from the bell tower of the Ascension Church. To the right of the church is visible edge of the estate Kharitonov-Rastorguev, the richest merchants of Yekaterinburg. From left to see one-storey stone house. This is the infamous house construction engineer Ipatiev, where they were kept in detention and were killed on the night of 16 on July 17, 1918 members of the family of the last Russian Emperor Nicholas II. In the years 1927-1932 in the house is a museum of the revolution. In 1975 it was decided to demolish the house. In 2003, this place was built the Temple on Blood.

Yekaterinburg. Then and now

from the Ural Polytechnic Institute.

At the historic pictures - Construction of the main building of the Ural Polytechnic University (now the Ural Federal University of Yeltsin.). University began building even before the revolution, and continued in the 30s. Older buildings still retain features of constructivism, the main body is a pre-war Soviet classicism.

Yekaterinburg. Then and now

The area of ​​them. Kirov.

In the photo - the prospect of Lenin Avenue from Kirov Square, or rather neo-classical buildings Vtuzgorodka (Town of higher technical educational institutions). The town was started in the 30s and formed to the end of the 80s. There was everything necessary for a life of teachers and students: training, laboratory, industrial buildings, housing, schools and kindergartens, gardens, park.

Yekaterinburg. Then and now

King's Bridge.

Wooden bridge over the Iset River was built in 1824, the arrival of the Emperor Alexander I in Ekaterinburg. In honor of the road on which the emperor was passing, he called Alexander Avenue. In 1889, the bridge has become a stone. Now he has the status of a historical and cultural monument of federal significance and protected by the state.

Yekaterinburg. Then and now

The White Tower.

Water Tower Uralmash had become a symbol of the new Soviet culture. Competition for the project among Uralmashinstroya workers won an intern Moses Reischer. The tower was built in 1931. In the 60 years to come Uralmash city water - tower no longer used. In 2012, it began a project to preserve its appearance and purpose to make the White Tower open public space.

Yekaterinburg. Then and now

Circus.

Yekaterinburg Circus project was carried out by architect Nikolai Nikitin, to design the Ostankino TV tower, and Julian Shvartsbreynom. The building was started in February 1980. Its design was considered innovative not only in the USSR, but also at European level. The uniqueness of the building lies in the support outer dome that holds the inner dome working with metal rods system.

Yekaterinburg. Then and now

Yekaterinburg City.

On the other side of the city pond visible street construction Fetisovskoy, the future streets of January 9 and Yeltsin, and the embankments of the Working Youth and Timofeevskaya. There was a settlement of exiles, but settled homes of wealthy citizens to the beginning of the XX century. In the 70 pre-revolutionary building was demolished by a pond having Oktyabrskaya Square, the building of the Party Regional Committee (now the administration of Sverdlovsk region; for a long time the tallest building in town - 23 floors).

The expansion in this part of the city continues, the October Square arise buildings Ekaterinburg City - the project of integrated development, comprising five skyscrapers. The first one, named in honor of the Iset River, can already be seen on the opposite bank. Tower height of 209 meters (52 floors) is currently the tallest building in the city.

Yekaterinburg. Then and now

All the collected material is entered into the historical photo album "Ekaterinburg. Then and now". In the book, over 100 iconic places of the city, which shows a difference of a few decades.

Yekaterinburg. Then and now