Interesting facts about Jakarta - the largest city in Indonesia
• Interesting facts about Jakarta - the largest city in Indonesia
Jakarta, the capital of the Republic of Indonesia, located in the north-west coast of the Indonesian island of Java. Jakarta is the busiest place in Indonesia in terms of tourism and trade. Let's find out some interesting facts about the largest city of Indonesia, Jakarta.
1. People Jakarta - crazy shoppers. They love shopping so much that shopping centers are open around the clock. There are about 130 shopping centers throughout the city.
2 Jakarta has not always been known as Jakarta. The town changed its name five times before it finally became Jakarta. He was known as the Sunda Kelpie with 397 in 1527. Then, in 1527 by 1619 he was called Dzhayakarta. Then in 1619 he was named Batavia and she remained until 1942. Again in 1942 he was replaced by Jakarta. Finally, in 1972 it got its present name in Jakarta.
3. The capital of Indonesia, Jakarta is not officially a city. It is actually a province. But he acquired a special status as the capital of the Republic of Indonesia.
4. Comparing geographically Jakarta occupies a proud position, being the 13th largest city in the world. In 2016, the population was more than 10 million people!
5. When it comes to rapid growth, very few cities in the world can compare with New York, which is lovingly known as The Big Apple. The fast pace of growth of the Jakarta made it to the Indonesian equivalent of the "Big Apple", and so the city lovingly called the "Big Durian".
6. Before the Second World War, Indonesia was a Dutch colony, and in this country there are still some historical buildings.