Curious about diamonds
• Curious about diamonds
The ancient Greeks believed diamonds splinters of falling stars or the tears of the gods. This is not surprising, because diamonds, especially polished, considered one of the most beautiful and expensive gemstones in the world. Moreover, they have incredible strength.
For centuries, diamonds and diamonds always enjoyed high popularity, they were used for the production of jewelry and in industry. But there are some interesting facts about diamonds, you may not yet know.
1. The first diamond mines existed in India almost 3,000 years ago.
2. bloody or conflict diamonds referred to diamonds that have been mined areas are not military action. Very often, the money from their sale are used to finance the rebels. Usually these terms are applied to diamonds mined in Africa. Nevertheless, it is in Africa extract 2/3 of all diamonds. Their transportation is very dangerous and requires an armed escort cargo.
3. Diamonds are composed of carbon and are formed underground in volcanic rock, due to exposure to high temperature and pressure.
4. On Saturn and Jupiter rains of diamonds. This is due to the chemical composition of the atmosphere in these planets. In the upper atmosphere Saturn and Jupiter lightning produce soot, which, falling into the atmosphere, can be converted to graphite and ultimately into diamonds.
5. About 80% of all diamonds produced in the world, are used for industrial purposes, and only 20% are treated for jewelry and
6. The first woman to receive a wedding ring with diamonds, was the Mary of Burgundy, daughter of the French king Charles the Bold. It was given to her in 1477 by the Austrian ergertsogom Maximillian.
7. The process of cut diamonds lose about half of their body weight.
8. Tracy Hall, who developed the production technology of synthetic diamonds for industrial corporation General Electric, received for his reward in the opening ... $ 10.
9. According to some estimates, less than one percent of the women in the world have a diamond weighing a carat or more.
10. Diamonds adorn a variety of things: cars, handbags and even credit cards. Company The Dubai First Royal offers its customers a gilded credit card with a diamond in the 0, 235 ct.
11. The world's largest transparent diamond - "Star of Africa". Its weight is 530 carats.